Monday, April 26, 2010

Summer Reads

With the semester coming to an end, normally I would be leaving books to the wayside in exchange for bright sunny days at the beach, and relaxing to music in the park. This summer though, that doesn't seem like an option. Thanks to one very enthusiastic professor over the last semester, my love for the novel has been rekindled, and here are a few things that I will be indulging in this summer.
After learning about this novel on We Love You So, I couldn't wait to read it, and immediately went to check it out on Amazon. Unfortunately the paperback isn't being released until May 25th, so I'll have to wait patiently. Here's a description of the unconventional work:
"In Light Boxes, the inhabitants of one closely-knit town are experiencing perpetual February. It turns out that a god-like spirit who lives in the sky, named February, is punishing the town for flying, and bans flight of all kind, including hot air balloons and even children's kites. It's February who makes the sun nothing but a faint memory, who blankets the ground with snow, who freezes the rivers and the lakes. As endless February continues, children go missing and more and more adults become nearly catatonic with depression. But others find the strength to fight back, waging war on February."
I was really excited to study this novel in my Love, Sex and Gender in Literature class, but it was cut from our syllabus due to time constrictions. I guess I'll have to just take it on myself.
After reading both Orlando and Mrs. Dalloway this semester, I have gotten a slight bit Virginia Woolf obsessive. Said to be her masterpiece, the novel has also been described to me as being very dense and difficult to get through. I hope I can make it!

No comments: